Since 2002, the Expanding and Creating Exceptional Leaders (E.X.C.E.L.) conference put on by both the Black MBA Association and Latin MBA Association has given graduate students at Kelley the opportunity to develop leadership skills and networking opporunities. This year, the planning committee decided that in order to assist in fighting the reduction in number of internship and full time opportunities that we would create a panel style conference around four different areas that students are interested in but have limited connections to utilize. This proved to be of great benefit for students in our graduate business program. Our hope was that through the conference, attendees would leave inspired to learn more about opportunities that they may not have previously considered or did not know how to approach. On September 19, we achieved this goal.
The four areas focused on were; real estate & property management, sports, non-profit/government, and PhD opportunities. We had 8 phenomonal speakers for the sessions:
- Real Estate - Dennis Dye - Executive Vice President - Browning Investments
- Real Estate - Brian Carter - Financial Analyst - Simon Property Group
- Sports/Entertainment - Rob Laycock - Director of Interactive Marketing - Indiana Pacers
- Sports/Entertainment - Mac Collins - Vice President - Exclusive Sports Group, LLC
- Non-Profit/Gov't - Steve Hourigan - Executive Director - 21st Century Fund - IEDC
- Non-Profit/Gov't - Larry Smith - Director - Third Millenium Intiative at the Center of Philanthropy
- PhD - Jason Brown - Professor - Kelley School of Business, IU
- PhD - Denise Williams - PhD Candidate - Kelley School of Business, IU
Looking forward to see what the E.X.C.E.L. conference will bring next year.