Monday, October 5, 2009

Learning Espanol

I may have failed to mention so far in my business school blog that I will be spending this January studying abroad in Santiago, Chile at Pointificia Universidad Catolica! I am very much looking forward to the experience. I have never travelled to South America before, and I am anxious to be immersed in the culture and learn more about the business environment of that area. However, I am a little nervous about the language barrier I am sure to face. I have no formal Spanish training and although the MBA course curriculum is taught in English, I'm planning to live with a host family and I'm sure I will need to communicate more broadly than the 10 Spanish words I am already familar with!

In order to help me prepare for my experience, I am taking advantage of a wonderful program at the Kelley School, The Center for Business Education and Research. The CIBER office provides affordable private language tutoring with PhD language students. I have been meeting with my Spanish language tutor twice a week and he has been working to prepare me for my trip. Because the classes are one-on-one, I can learn what will be most critical for me in Chile and at my own pace. Although I know I won't be anywhere near fluent by the time I arrive in Santiago, I am definitely more prepared! I'm not sure what to expect from my time abroad, but I am positive that it will be a great experience!

1 comment:

  1. Choosing a best business school is a big task you have to prepared your self for the hard work you may face. The research and case study will be necessary for this process. I usually read here useful articles.

    ReplyDelete