Wednesday, January 13, 2010

New Semester bring New Classes to Kelley

Being a second year student at the Kelley School of Business has allowed me to take some interesting and beneficial electives. While I always enjoy the MBA Consumer Marketing classes, there is something to be said about taking a class outside of your major. Like all top business grad schools, Kelley offers a lot of brand new classes each semester. I am currently enrolled in one of these classes, entitled Effective Communication. The class has already been a little painful. Each student has to give a quick presentation each class, but that is not the painful part. The hard part is that each presentation is video tapped and you have to watch the video and analyze yourself to identify skills and weaknesses. I honestly believe there is nothing worse then having to listen and watch yourself on tape!

However, I know I'm going to pick up some great skills from this class. For one, we learned today that rambling makes it look like you don't know what you are talking about. Given this, I'm going to wrap up this blog. But seriously, I am excited for the class and I think it is a great class for career change MBAs in that they might not have done a lot of public speaking prior to business school. Or even if you have done a lot of public speaking, at least this class gets you used to seeing yourself on camera (which I think is secretly the goal of all MBAs)!

No comments:

Post a Comment