It is a very tough market for full-time jobs, and internships are not much different. I will be competing against top MBA consumer marketing students at both Kelley and other MBA programs. Fortunately, the Consumer Marketing Academy and Graduate Career Services (GCS) have done a great job preparing me for these important interviews.
I don't know if other top ranked business graduate schools do it the same way, but here is the depth of interview prep that we've gone through so far:
- In the Consumer Marketing Academy, almost every Friday that we met we would work on our "C.A.R." statements. These take the format of "Context, Action, Result" and are the best way to form interview question responses so recruiters can follow along and see your impact on business results.
- Via GCS, we had mock interviews with recruiters for Kelley Kickoff and have had 2 "slam sessions" where a GCS coach and a group of students critique question responses
- I will mock interview this week with my GCS career coach to fine-tune my responses to widely-asked questions
- Through the Kelley Marketing Club, I have done 4 company-specific slam sessions and will do mock interview "speed dating style" this week. They also have a very good Marketing Interview guide.
- On my own, I will mock interview with 6 second-year students who have gone through both internship and full-time recruiting.
- Finally, GCS provides a fantastic interview question guide and access to InterviewStream, a site that lets you record yourself (via webcam) answering questions. This lets you really see how you look when you answer and you can send it to other people for their critique.