Friday, February 26, 2010

Do all Kelley Finance MBA students have this many TVs? Of course not...

Wow, this is going to be my first real entry in my MBA program blog. So, what exactly is the life of a 2nd Year MBA student at Kelley like? First, the main goal is to use my Finance MBA to land a job...and I am glad to say I have accepted a job with Best Buy as a Senior Financial Analyst starting in July! I guess you could say my MBA career switch is about to be complete. I definitely think that being at a top ranked MBA school really gave me the tools I needed to get to where I am today. There are a lot of schools offering an MBA, but not every one can offer the full package of a top MBA program that Kelley can. It seems so long ago that I interviewed with the MBA admissions office here, and I feel I've come a long way.

By the way, I'm a worm, If you could see the electronics setup at the townhouse I share with 3 other MBA students, you would understand why I'm so excited to be at Best Buy. Actually, why don't I share a few pictures of our living room...

So you can understand why the employee discount is a great deal. In fact, I used my new finance MBA skills from the program to do an analysis of the benefits...just kidding, but it's a good fit for me. But on another note, our TVs are a good transition for me to tell you about one of the most important parts of my two years in the MBA program at Kelley: the MBA social life of a 2nd year.

Transitioning from being in one of the top MBA programs in the country to a real job is going to be difficult, and that process dominates the last semester of the program. A day in the life of an MBA is very different from working at an actual finance job. The biggest thing that makes Kelley one of the best MBA programs, beyond the traditional MBA curriculum, is the community experience. It's a small program compared to other programs, but the experience of getting to know all of your classmates is priceless. I know if I need insight into consumer marketing, entrepreneurship, finance, management, operations, or even Excel spreadsheets, I have a friend at Kelley working in that area. Unfortunately, when I move to Minneapolis, I won't be able to see all these people again. Getting a top MBA degree is great for your career, but it also means that your friends will be able to get jobs across the country. Enjoying the time you have left to spend with them at school is key. Between camping, video games, going to wrestling shows, go-karts, and the Kentucky Derby, I'm trying to make sure I enjoy the freedom I have right now and the people I have around me. That's something that isn't captured in any graduate school rankings, and that's something that makes Kelley unique among the best business graduate schools.

If you're interested in getting an MBA, whether it's Marketing, Finance, Management, or even if you aren't sure what area you want to study, I would offer one piece of advice. Make sure you're going to enjoy your experience. Whether it's the city, the program, the students, or some other factor, make sure you are going to enjoy the university you choose for an MBA program. If you're an MBA student, you are going to be able to do the work and get the skills to land a good job. When your two years are done, don't be the person who's excited to leave...be the person who is going to miss their experiences. It makes every day a lot more enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. I always keep this in mind. Whatever life brings, just have faith and enjoy!

    graduate business school

    ReplyDelete