Tuesday, March 16, 2010

So what's next?

I'm going to be touring the Chicago Board of Trade tomorrow, and that got me thinking about where my time in the MBA program at Kelley has taken me and my fellow students. When I started thinking about MBA programs, I knew I wanted to change careers. I used the Business Week MBA ranking to help pick out programs, and ended up picking Indiana. When I got here I decided to get into corporate finance, and I've really enjoyed my experience as a finance major at Kelley. But now that we're about to wrap up our time, what's the MBA program like, and where are we going from here?

First of all, the big concern for 2nd year students is getting a job. Like most programs, it's harder the past 2 years than it ever has been. At least Kelley has been one of the top MBA programs in getting students jobs during this recession, however! I'm one of the lucky 55% or so who has a job. Because I am a career switch MBA, that's a huge deal...I don't necessarily have the connections to go back to my previous industry. Many of my friends have jobs, but many also don't. Last spring I didn't get my internship until 2 weeks before classes ended, so I've seen both sides. The toughest thing is staying positive and trying to find an opportunity. Even the best MBA program in the USA couldn't guarantee everyone a job. However, the support system at Kelley is one of the strongest in the country, and that's a big reason why so many students are able to fight through the tough times. From students reaching out to their past contacts to the alumni network, there are always people willing to help. Even if you don't feel ready to get back to the working world, the community here is willing to help out. I don't think I'll feel ready to "unpause" my working life until the people around me are ready as well. That way we can all leave MBA student life behind, together!

1 comment:

  1. For the future these would even help students regarding all those values which are even said to be important. phd dissertation help

    ReplyDelete