Saturday, April 3, 2010

Spring is here...I'm loving English soccer

The weather has been absolutely beautiful in Bloomington for the last week or so, in the 70's every day. This is when the free time in 2nd year MBA student life really pays off! I'm in Chicago this weekend, and it's just as nice. This is just the best time of year...those first few warm days when you can get outside and really feel energetic. I went down to the beach on Lake Michigan today for a while and got some sun...here's a picture of me by the water:

That's me in one of my Arsenal soccer jerseys. I can't believe I made it this far in my MBA program blog without mentioning them! They're my favorite soccer team, and they play in the English Premier League. They're contending for the league title again this year, and they're in the last 8 of the Champions League-the most presitigious club tournament in the world. Unfortunately, they've been decimated by injuries yet again...their 3 best offensive players are all out for the rest of the year. This is my favorite time of the soccer season, when all the matches are immensely important. A guy I once knew told me, "Smart people like soccer," and that apparently holds true...tons of MBA's love soccer. Since MBA finance students are the smartest, they must love it the most :) In fact, my housemates have all taken to watching matches. We play FIFA 2010 on Xbox, kick the soccer ball around outside, and follow the top teams on TV. We have a great time making fun of our least favorite players, and watching all the amazing matches. It's great to have that in common.

By the way, I'm doing an independent study this semester with Wayne Winston in the Decision Support Modeling department. He's one of the most interesting, unusual, and captivating professors in the Kelley School of Business. I'm having a blast and working on some cool stuff, more of which I can discuss later. The 1st years are taking his spreadsheet modeling class right now, and Facebook is full of mentions of him. Check his website, waynewinston.com, for really interesting analysis on math in sports. Doing sophisticated spreadsheet analysis really sets Kelley students apart from most of the other top full time MBA programs. Some schools don't even have you work on spreadsheets...it's such an advantage here!

No comments:

Post a Comment