Friday, June 18, 2010

Internship “JumpStart”

I am writing this blog entry as I near the end of my first full week at Midwest ISO. Headquartered in beautiful Carmel, IN, I am an intern in the Supply Management (purchasing) department. Never heard of Midwest ISO? Then I can bet you are not too familiar with utility companies or the power grid. Midwest ISO manages the grid for 13 states and Manitoba as well as a real-time energy market bringing together buyers and sellers. If that still isn’t clear, just remember that they keep the lights on. Being that the last time I was an intern was the summer of 2004, I wasn’t sure what to expect from an MBA internship. I have to say that I have been extremely impressed with the Midwest ISO internship program so far. Everyone in the company has been welcoming, friendly, and helpful which has made the transition easy. As one of my first tasks, I worked with my manager to outline goals and expectations for the summer. It is very obvious from my interactions with my team that they are committed to developing me and ensuring I learn a lot over the course of the internship – I couldn’t ask for more. Not having previously worked in procurement, I ran out immediately and purchased “The Supply Management Handbook” which has been very helpful. However, I was surprised by how many different things I learned in “the core” and my electives that have already proved useful in the first week alone. From utilizing Wayne Winston’s tricks in excel to my case comp powerpoint skills to Pratt’s accounting ratios and so on, I can already tell it is going to be a great summer!

Name: Aaron Kraft
GradYear: 2011
City: Carmel
State: IN

No comments:

Post a Comment