Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Yankee in Beantown

New York to Indiana, to a few places in between, then back to New York and off to Boston, Massachusetts I went to begin my Internship at Comcast within the Marketing Strategy Department. To say that I earned the title of “expert traveler” is an understatement, as I wait in the not-so-shorter lines at the airport as my reward. The beginnings of my travels led me to the Kelley School of Business, where I started to hone the skills that I put to immediate use during my many interviews and during the first few weeks of my internship.

So was I really prepared? Well, the very warm welcome from the people at Comcast’s North Central Division was a great start. The challenging core curriculum during the first semester helped me figure out what different departments my fascinating project would affect. And during my first week, I put all of my strategy and Consumer Marketing Academy skills to work as I began to understand the scope of my project. Oh and it didn’t hurt that my first week ended at a networking reception at Boston Symphony Hall with a free show. I must say, that I feel quite fortunate to be at Comcast this summer because from the very beginning I have had great visibility and access to many initiatives, including sitting in on a high-level meeting, and a visit to creative their advertising agency. This has really given me firsthand experience on what I have been learning all year, and Kelley helped me contribute value on all fronts. And the people on segways in the hallway are an odd treat that make me chuckle every time I see someone zoom by.

So as I begin to wrap on Project #1 and move to Project #2, I even have the ability to influence one of my projects by working closely with my Director to talk about my skills and interests. I can’t wait to flex more of my Excel muscles, thanks to Wayne Winston! Admittedly, I was nervous before starting my internship, but after meeting the folks here and putting my Kelley MBA skills to work, it’s been great so far. I am also happy to report, that the Boston Red Sox fans have not thrown one thing at my car yet with the New York plates on it, but the summer is not over yet. Till next time…

Name: Azza Elsheikh
GradYear: 2011
City: Boston
State: Massachusetts

No comments:

Post a Comment