Sunday, November 28, 2010

Baby Steps

It is easy to let things get overwhelming quickly...writing millions of essays for graduate school applications, picking an industry and function for after graduate school determining the rest of your career, training for a marathon....there are so many steps to take (figuratively and literally!) and so many little decisions to make along the way.

So, you may ask, what can I do to make these processes easier?

First, apply to the Best MBA Program in the USA! Of course, that is the Kelley School of Business. There are no crazy amount of essays required and most importantly, they consider the application as a whole. No mad science behind one part of the application being more important than the other. Kelley only admits the best overall well rounded people - I know because I am one :)
Read this article to find out more on Kelley MBA admission.

So, today starts a new 7 weeks of classes for me. Kelley runs on quarters which is nice as I get up to 8 classes a year, but it sometimes seems as though right as I get into the swing of the class, it ends. So now I am faced with 4 new classes. Additionally, I am lucky enough to lead a new peer coach program where 2nd years, like myself, mentor 1st year MBA students and provide a resource for professional and personal advice and coaching. It is a big responsibility, and I take it seriously as I want to provide a good experience for those I coach as well as develop my leadership skills. So, instead of getting overwhelmed with the new work load, I have started with small goals. These include: 1. to get the most of each class. I am only here for 3 more quarters! Thus I must read the material BEFORE the class and participate in the classroom discussion to leave Kelley the best marketing leader I can. It is not always as easy as it sounds. 2. to journal my experiences of coaching others and chronicle what works and what does not and 3. to take my lunch to school today (I hope I can do it the day after and the day after that too!).

These 'baby steps' will help me achieve bigger broader goals that I will share with you in my next post :)

Now, go have a great day!!

P.S. The pictured boots are what I want to start my 'baby steps' in, aren't they great?

No comments:

Post a Comment