Friday, February 11, 2011

Wow! A Great Example of Networking

I was at the Indiana Memorial Union for a board dinner last night. Ok, you are saying, why should I care? Well, while I was at this dinner I experienced an excellent example of networking in an arena where the person didn't have much in common with the attendees but worked her way into many conversations and did a great job tying it all together.


This dinner was for the Board of Directors of the Reese Fund, which is an MBA student managed investment portfolio within the Investment Management Academy. It was attended by a variety of Kelley alumni in the investment field as well as various Kelley School of Business finance faculty. One of the members of the wait staff was an undergrad Kelley student (which was a commonality) but she was focused on entrepreneurship and economics. She was extremely personable and ended up included in a variety of conversations throughout the evening. She and I started chatting, and she mentioned that she had seen information on the Forte Career Lab and wondered if I knew anything about it. (The Forte Foundation is a non-profit organization comprised of a variety of universities and corporations whose purpose is to drive more women to be interested in business.)


Turns out I am actually the Forte rep for Indiana University and am running the event. We chatted about the event and she made sure to get my card and let me know that she would be attending and would be happy to help promote the event via emails and flyers.


Now she didn't have to do any of this, but she did and it made a big impression on me and others in the room. If she ever asks for help on something in the future, I would definitely be happy to assist her in any way that I could. Something to think about next time you are in a room full of people that you may or may not have a direct connection with.


I will be writing more in the coming weeks on networking. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment