Thursday, February 24, 2011

Preparing For the Road Ahead, Coming From the Road Less Traveled

Ever since we returned to school in January, the Kelley MBA experience has been a flurry of activity that in many ways is even more intense and demanding than the transformative Core curriculum in the fall. Students become (even more) familiar with the Graduate Career Services office, meeting with some of the many on-campus recruiters sent by a variety of different organizations. Over and over, we have the opportunity (and the challenge) to sell ourselves, to articulate our professional and personal goals, and to convince interviewers that our background and skill sets are relevant and valuable in pursuit of the internships they offer.

Oh, and by the way, all this is happening in conjunction with the same rigorous academic courseload (complete with even more group projects and meetings than in the fall) that made the Core so much fun. Still, as challenging as my schedule is, I would expect no less at any other top-ranked, two-year MBA program, and I know that I am going to be all the better for it.

The need to paint a convincing picture of our personal story for all those interviews is one reason I am glad we spent part of orientation involved with the "Me, Inc." material developed by the GCS team. Especially because my work experience after college was not in a traditional business environment, the "Me, Inc." curriculum got me started thinking about how to shape my personal brand and story before I even began learning about SWOT analysis or Nash equilibria. As I think back on the many interviews I've had in the last few weeks, I know that being at Kelley was the right fit for me and has been instrumental in helping me chart the course of my professional development.

1 comment:

  1. So these would probably help students in bringing around all those values which must have been understood by them for the better cause and future. automatic paraphraser

    ReplyDelete