Monday, March 7, 2011

Strategic Marketing MBA pays off

Results are in and I am pleased to announce that my M513 Marketing Strategy Simulation course team won our simulation! Over the course of the semester, we have been making business decisions in a fake universe to put all of our skills to the practical test. On my team were fellow MBA program blog contributors, Joe Gudema and Steven Hilker, in addition to another Consumer Marketing Academy classmate, Dustin Taylor. I have to say, at first I was a little skeptical of what this experience would be like, but it was great to really see how much we have learned in our two year MBA program, in addition to building new skills that will help me as I continue my career as a brand manager.



To be honest, it wasn't all roses and puppies. By luck of the draw, we started with the worst products that were not positioned to meet any of the market segments. With some strong investments in R&D and maximizing our returns on sales force and promotions, we were able to make progress and by round five capture the lead and stay that way through the final period in year 9. I attribute company culture, meaning how well our team worked together, to our success. It really makes a difference in your dedication to the team if you enjoy the people you are working with, and I would say the same holds true when pursuing your MBA. If any of you have a chance to take this course, or one like it, I highly recommend it! It is even more fun when you win.

No comments:

Post a Comment