Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Back To School

By Dylan Chatterjee
First Year

Three weeks deep, one midterm done, and the only thing I’m certain of is that I cannot expect anything with certainty.

My name is Dylan Chatterjee, and I’m a first year MBA student at the Kelley School of Business. I hail from all over, most recently Los Angeles, California where I worked in Hollywood in various roles in production and development. I chose to come to Indiana University because of the culture, curriculum, and caliber of the faculty and my classmates. I also came to break out of my comfort zone – I believe that is best way to grow and outpace your formal self. So far, I can honestly say I do not even remember what my comfort zone was.

The Core – an integrated system of eight foundation classes - is as tough as everyone said it would be. My days are now filled with insane amounts of reading, endless homework, and the incessant need to constantly prioritize your tasks and manage your time, plus networking and internship searching. More than occasionally I find myself at bars with my classmates, or forcing myself to go to the gym to maintain some resemblance of a balanced life.

Thanks to Kelley’s first semester curriculum, my comfort zone is dealing with uncertainty. By uncertainty, I mean lack of routine. Class is not repetitive, and the workload is not mundane. The variety of what I have done in just three weeks rivals some of the big productions I was involved with in my former career. I take comfort in the lack of routine – it is challenging and gratifying, and there is no doubt in my mind, thanks to Kelley, I am growing, both professionally and personally, and I can’t wait to see what’s in store tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment