Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Meet the Meg(h)ans


By Ray Luther
Director of Recruiting and Leadership, Kelley MBA Program

We would like to introduce you to two very special 2nd year MBA students at Kelley, Megan Kuhn and Meghan Curran – or as we like to call them, The Meg(h)ans. 

Meet the Meg(h)ans: Meghan Curran and Megan Kuhn
Over the coming year, the Meg(h)ans will share their personal stories as they become better leaders through action-based learning in our Kelley GLOBASE Program.  They will improve their self-awareness through meaningful reflection, and drive their team proficiency skills through active learning.  All of this is core to what we do in the Kelley MBA program.  

As the Meg(h)ans embark on the challenge that lies ahead, we anticipate many highs and some lows, but want to showcase the reality of young, professional women who are not afraid to step up to the challenge of making themselves better leaders.  

Kuhn is headed to Guatemala to work with local businesses, while Curran is off to Northern India to consult with a regional NGO.  They will be the authors of their journeys, not passive editors, and will drive their team’s vision as they navigate the experience.   The GLOBASE framework includes leading groups of MBA students through relevant curriculum design and delivery, project management skills and ultimately successful in-country execution that delivers real-world impact for our Kelley partners.   

The Meg(h)ans deploy in March 2013, but have much work to do as they get ready – especially with their opportunity to lead.  We look forward to sharing their stories with you, and hope they enable you to take away the power of action-based learning in creating the leaders of tomorrow. Meet the Meg(h)ans.


Hola!  

My name is Megan Kuhn and I am a second-year MBA student at the Kelley School of Business.  I am a marketing major, minor in finance, and a member of our Consumer Marketing Academy here at Kelley. This summer I interned on the pediatric marketing team for the Similac brand at Abbott Nutrition in Columbus, OH.  

In Guatemala, March 2012.
To say that my first year in the MBA program was a life-changer would be an understatement.  I look at where I was a year ago – green to business, green to leadership, a positive attitude as a cover for how nervous I was – and I’m so thankful for the experiences I had in one year that have changed me.  One of those experiences, and quite possibly the best one, was my experience with GLOBASE Guatemala.

I grew up in Indianapolis, IN. Went to a small private high school. Went to a small private liberal arts college.  Graduated and moved to Washington, D.C., where I raised money for Ford’s Theatre through donations from Fortune 500 companies and Washingtonians.  


Kelley MBAs in Guatemala, March 2012.
The third world was a universe away from my daily life.  If I could have predicted where I’d be in spring 2012, it would have surprised me to know that I would spend 2 weeks trekking through Guatemala, working with a selfless and passionate client that would open my eyes to the world beyond my bubble in Washington D.C. and Bloomington, IN. 

To say in one sentence why I am leading GLOBASE Guatemala 2013:
I am a member of the leadership team for Globase Guatemala 2013 because I want the Kelley student consultants to have the same eye-opening experience that I had, get out of their comfort zone, and develop unforgettable relationships with their small business clients in Guatemala.



Hari Om! 

My name is Meghan Curran and I am a second-year MBA student at the Kelley School of Business.  If you would have told me even three years ago if I would be a business school student, I would have laughed at you.  So, how did I get here?

Well, I came from New York, via Guatemala, and landed in Indiana – then India!  After my liberal arts undergraduate in D.C., I joined the Peace Corps and moved to Guatemala for two years.  After Peace Corps, I worked with Grameen America, which is the U.S. affiliate of Muhammed Yunus’ Grameen Bank, the pioneer microfinance institution.  

In India, March 2012.
Throughout my work in Guatemala and with Grameen, I kept circling back to enterprise as the foundation of community development, and realized that I knew very little about business fundamentals.  Furthermore, having worked both directly and in partnership with a variety of nonprofits throughout these experiences, I witnessed firsthand the strategic, financial and managerial challenges often faced by resource-constrained mission-driven organizations.  Business school became a clear path to building myself a toolkit that would enable me to have a higher impact within mission-driven organizations.

For me, GLOBASE was one of the big draws to Kelley – applying business skills to small enterprises and nonprofits was exactly what I wanted to do with my degree – how awesome to have an opportunity (or two!) to test drive the use of those skills.

Reaching the summit in India, March 2012.
Last year, I had the privilege to participate in GLOBASE India and work with the Chinmaya Organisation for Rural Development (CORD), a community-based organization that offers a variety of programs to the rural Indian communities it serves.  CORD’s mission is tied to the self-empowerment of its constituents, which means that much of its programming is centered on helping people help themselves; identifying viable career opportunities, facilitating savings and loan programs, and conducting vocational training programs.  Suddenly, we saw that business was everywhere within this nonprofit.

Apart from the inspirational work that CORD does, they were ideal clients; responsive, open-minded, professional, and I left India eager to work with them again – to follow up on our project work, and continue to push CORD’s mission forward.

So here I am again.  Thrilled to take advantage of this unique opportunity to shape this experience for my classmates; to guide them through the exploration of business nested within the nonprofit space, climb out of our classroom comfort zones, and use our business skills where they are infrequently found and much needed.

Simultaneously, this journey to India (not the 16 hour flight, but the 8 month experience) represents an opportunity for personal growth and leadership development.  I am humbled by the passion and expertise of my teammates, and look forward to continuing to grow and develop with their feedback and support.

Off we go!


No comments:

Post a Comment