Monday, July 1, 2013

Living Up to the Standard: Greg at the Tennessee Department of Education


Living Up to the Standard: Internship Series

By Greg Mattes, Tennessee Department of Education Intern

Prior to coming to Kelley, I was a Space Shuttle Flight Controller at NASA's Johnson Space Center.  Now I am informing policy at the Tennessee Department of Education (TDOE)--quite the career shift, but I am well prepared.

So far I have worked on two projects--1. Investigating early childhood education in Tennessee and benchmarking it against other states and 2. Detailing current virtual learning policy and categorizing the initiatives around the state.

This fellowship at the TDOE has given me the opportunity to brief Commissioner Huffman directly, informing him about education topics critical to the future of Tennessee youth.  Kelley has prepared me to step into these large, challenging and ambiguous problems to create concise, thoughtful recommendations. It is an exciting job with immense impact--EXCITING!

I have enjoyed the first few weeks of the fellowship and am looking forward to finishing the summer strong!





No comments:

Post a Comment