Friday, October 3, 2014

An MBA Internship at Amazon: Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company



By Nir Paz, MBA ‘15
Intern at Amazon, Amazon Web Services

“The customer is always right.” This simple phrase takes a whole new meaning at Amazon, Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company, where every single employee shares the same goal: to satisfy every whim of Amazon customers.

At Amazon, ambiguity is the name of the game. After merely a day of orientation, interns were expected to start working immediately on our summer projects. And for good reason; we only had as little as 12 weeks to formulate actionable strategic plans to generate real value to Amazon and its customers. As overwhelming as it might have been, I felt that Kelley provided me with useful tools and techniques to quickly understand the mission and start peeling the onion back, as they say. But this was only the first out of many challenges I encountered during my internship.

My responsibilities ranged from conducting 300,000 customer surveys to interviewing senior executives from potential companies who are interested in a B2B relationship with Amazon and formulating a 50-page narrative illustrating features for a groundbreaking, innovative, and confidential product.

One of the great things about Amazon is that every intern works on a project that will be used in the future. I found the opportunity to influence a strategic and innovative product in as little as 12 weeks extremely exciting. I felt so strongly about the opportunity to make an impact on the organization that I worked to complete three different projects, all of which will be implemented and generate real value very soon.

The combination of innovation, leadership, and passion—traits that have been nurtured and polished throughout Kelley’s rigorous Core and academies—serve as a catalyst to excellence. Throughout my career in Special Forces, the experience in the high-tech industry, and past academic experiences, including the Kelley School of Business, I learned that excellence is not a skill; excellence is an attitude.

I had an amazing summer, one that I will never forget. I realized firsthand that creating real and measurable value is a good place to start on the path to success and excellence.

3 comments:

  1. There is possibly still need to bring around all those values which are indeed considered to be pretty essential for the students and surely for the future these would proved to be much better. medical school personal statement length

    ReplyDelete
  2. Authentic submit today! I genuinely like this excellent resource with a pile up details regarding the subject. Thumbs up for you! mba motivation letter

    ReplyDelete