Tuesday, October 7, 2014

IGOE: A permanent support system for Latin MBA students

Current and recent IGOE Global Fellows

The Institute for Global Organizational Effectiveness (IGOE) has been a cornerstone for me and many other Latin students because it has enabled us to pursue an MBA at a top business school. The help we receive from IGOE is not restricted to a substantial fellowship toward our tuition—it also encompasses a permanent support system that extends far beyond the 2-year MBA program. Thanks to the support we receive through IGOE, we are able to foster our professional development through many means, including attendance at career fairs and access to the rapidly growing network of IGOE alumni.

Joaquin Pereyra, MBA'15
Flash back to my own personal journey to the Kelley School of Business, at the beginning of 2011 when I decided to pursue an MBA. It had always been a dream of mine to earn my master’s degree at a top business school in the United States, and while I cannot say that the process was always easy or stress free, once that decision was made, a sequence of meaningful events occurred that eventually led me to where I am today.

I chose to leave my job for three months in order to take time to prepare for the required entrance exams. On top of that, I needed to search for financial support, since affording the total cost of the MBA by myself was close to impossible. Trying to find the way to materialize that big and, at the time, distant dream of pursuing an MBA took countless hours of research and study. By mid-2012, I was still searching for that unique opportunity.

Joaquin Pereyra at a recent
NBMBAA Conference
I had been accepted to a few MBA programs, but with no substantial financial support package. I had the chance of doing my MBA in Europe with a scholarship; however, I strongly felt that the US was the place for my MBA. At some point, I was on the border of just giving up on the MBA dream. I decided to try one last time. After all, big dreams require perseverance and determination.

Months later, right when it seemed there was no light at the end of the tunnel, great news arrived for me: I had been awarded a Fulbright Scholarship.

From then on, things started working out relatively smoothly. Fulbright applied on my behalf to previously agreed-upon universities, one of them being Kelley. I still clearly remember my excitement when in March 2013 I opened that thick IU package to find that I had been accepted to the Kelley School of Business. The final and decisive piece of the puzzle was a fellowship offer from IGOE for the two-year program.

Finally, after more than two years of hard effort and some frustrations along the way, I felt fulfilled and extremely happy about how things turned out.  Fulbright and IGOE were the key enablers for making this possible.

IGOE intensifies in its fellows a strong bond with Kelley and Indiana University. It has given each one of us a unique platform to embrace personal and professional development through different avenues such as funding to attend career fairs, access to its exclusive alumni network throughout the US and Latin America, and direct support for participation in case competitions.

When I finally began the MBA program I felt a deep appreciation for IGOE. Now that feeling of gratitude has turned into a genuine commitment with the institution and its mission.

1 comment:

  1. I was delighted to find this web site.I wanted to thank you for your time reading this wonderful! I really enjoyed every bit of it and I've marked to ensure that the blog post something new harvard mba application

    ReplyDelete