Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Network, network, network at the National Society of Hispanic MBAs Conference


Last month, several underrepresented minority-focused MBA conferences took place throughout the United States. One of the largest was the National Society of Hispanic MBAs (NSHMBA), which was held this year in Philadelphia. Thanks to the support from the Institute for Global Organizational Effectiveness (IGOE), 14 of this year’s 16 IGOE MBA Fellows chose to attend the conference.

There was a lot of anticipation surrounding the event, especially among my Latin classmates because many of us had never experienced something like this before. The second-year IGOE Fellows did a great job sharing advice about every aspect of the conference and how to prepare beforehand.

Alejandra de Caso
MBA'16
At the conference, we had the opportunity to network with corporate recruiters and students from other MBA programs. You could tell a company’s culture and work environment by looking at each booth.

I was really looking forward to talking to a company that did not recruit on campus but was a leader in the industry that I am pursuing for my post-MBA career. Engaging in conversations directly with recruiters wasn’t as challenging as I expected; all of them were willing to talk to and inform us about the opportunities for MBA candidates within their companies.

I now have a couple of new companies to follow up with during my job search process. I also enjoyed spending time with other IGOE Fellows in Philadelphia, preparing my CARs, doing mock interviews, enjoying nice dinners, and relaxing.  

The National Society of Hispanic MBAs Conference was an enriching personal and professional experience, which I definitely recommend to future Kelleys. My only advice is to prepare beforehand—the conference goes by fast, and preparation is essential in order to make the best out of your time there.  I’m very grateful for the financial and informational support offered by IGOE, without which I would not have been able to attend.

1 comment:

  1. I was delighted to find this web site.I wanted to thank you for your time reading this wonderful! I really enjoyed every bit of it and I've marked to ensure that the blog post something new mba dissertation writing

    ReplyDelete